Hey, are you an avid traveler but don’t want to pay your hard-earned money to a travel agent? You got a great idea. This is the era where everything is digitally connected. So the one and the only thing that you need to organize your next trip is a Smartphone with Internet connectivity. That’s it…
From a local cheap travel destination to an expensive country like Switzerland, these 7 best travel apps for Europe travel will not only help you with a budget trip but also give you the freedom to travel freely.
PIN IT FOR LATER…
This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you won’t pay any extra penny, but I’ll get a small commission that encourages me to deliver more helpful content for you.
While traveling in Europe you might face a variety of transportation options, hotel options, languages, currency conversions and many more.
From booking your flight & accommodation to ordering your food and preparing the list of your local sightseeing -everything can be easily handled by yourself if you have an Android or iOS smartphone. To enjoy a flawless trip, here I have sorted my most favorite free apps to travel in Europe.
I have also listed down all these amazing travel apps in different categories to cover every aspect of my budget trip.
1. Booking your Flight/Transport:
When it’s time to book your flight, you want the best flight deal, right? Skyscanner is one of the most popular travel apps in Europe to search, compare and book flights at the cheapest price from any European country(it is popular globally also).
This flight booking app has a cool feature such as ‘Search Everywhere” to get the best price available anywhere in the world.
- Rentalcars.com Car Hire App: If you want to rent a car, most of these apps provide that feature, however, I will recommend this app to get the best deal and user-friendly experience. Check out the most important road trip essentials before your journey. Link: Android and iOS
- Kiwi.com: For travelers who use local bus and train service, Kiwi.com is the app that provides this feature also.
- Uber: If you are not old enough or eligible to rent a car and don’t have enough confidence to use local transport then you can use Uber which is active in more than 173 countries. It is a little bit costly but might be helpful when you are traveling to a new country.
2. Booking your Accommodation:
Booking.com Hotel Reservation:
Try using this best app available in the market to book your budget hotels to luxury hotels. When I travel with my parents this app is the best option for me. I can reserve my hotel and pay later at the time of check-in. Also, they have a ‘Free Cancellation’ policy available for most of their hotels.
There are some other useful accommodation booking apps in this category depending on the type of accommodation you want to book.
- Hostel World: If you are a solo budget traveler and want to meet new people while traveling then Hostel World will be the best option for you. Android & iOS
- Airbnb: To get a more authentic experience you can try Airbnb which can be an ideal alternative of booking.com if you don’t find any hotel at your remote location. Android & iOS
- Couchsurfing: It is best for those explorers who prefer free accommodation and hanging out with locals. Android & iOS
- Hotel Tonight: An amazing website for last-minute hotel booking at a cheap price. Android & iOS
3. Planning Your Budget:
For a budget traveler like me, this is a must-have app in my checklist. When I am traveling with a tight budget, I don’t want to lose track of how much I am spending. This app makes it easier for me for planning and spending on the entire trip.
I can create different categories like accommodation, transport, food, etc. Once your trip begins, you will have to track your expenses, which is a little bit annoying but you can save a good amount of money if you keep track of it.
Download link: iOS only
4. Planning Your Trip:
Guides by Lonely Planets:
It is one of the best travel apps for Europe. This free travel app knows everything about a certain place with offline maps, transport information, currency converter, must-see sights and many more. During my solo Thailand trip when I was puzzled about what to do in Bangkok, this app came out as the ultimate solution. I got all the details of the place in one place.
Here you have to choose the country or city where you are traveling, download the city guides and in the menu section there are several options like see, eat, sleep, drink, shop etc. I personally like this app and it came with great help for me while planning a trip itinerary for Southern Thailand.
5. Exploring the City:
Moovit: Best Travel Apps for Europe
This app is like my personal assistant when it comes to public transport and urban mobility. I just put my location where I want to go and let Moovit show the magic. It shows the best route of public transport available. It also gives me Live direction, Real-time arrival, Real-time alerts everything that makes my Chiang Mai Travel very easy.
6. Connected with Closed Ones:
When I travel far from my location Whatsapp is my best companion to stay connected with your parents, relatives or friends. It uses phone contacts and let me do voice calls, video calls, text, image and video sharing to other people.
When you travel abroad you will most likely need a good app to translate and here Google Translator does an amazing job. You have to download the language of your desired destination and make it available offline. For most used languages you cal use their photo feature where you can simply hover over the original text and the text is translated into your language. They also offer the ‘Conversation’ feature where you can record in real-time and the translation is played out instantly.
Google Map is one of the must-have apps while traveling, but as it is kept pre-installed in maximum smartphones I didn’t keep it on my list.
However, I would like to mention Guru Maps in this list of ‘best travel apps for Europe’. This app is very useful for travelers who like to visit off the beaten paths. Guru Maps is more detailed and more powerful than Google Map for sharing and saving map data.
There are so many useful travel apps available in App Store or Google Play Store, that’s why I have categorized to cover all areas and selected the best free travel apps among those which are worth downloading. If Dubai is in your bucket list then you can check these free apps for a pleasant trip in Dubai.
I have sorted some other travel apps which are also great in their respective areas. If you wish you can download as per your need.
- OpenRice/Zomato: These two apps are liked by mainly foodie travelers. These apps provide restaurant listings with in-depth reviews, menus, photos, and prices of the dishes. OpenRice is Asia specific app where Zomato is available in 22 countries including the US, UK, Canada, Italy, Australia and more.
- WithLocals: You can book different experiences with locals like home dinners, workshops, city tours etc. which will add a different layer in your travel experience.
- Netflix/Spotify: When you get bored in the airport lounge or rail station you can download or watch movies, a TV series with a monthly subscription. If you are a music lover then Spotify is the best option. I will recommend downloading your favorite movies and songs before travel.
- Wifi finder: Search your location and see if there is any free WiFI available which is really helpful especially when you arrive in a new country.
- Priority Pass: It offers its members to get access over 1200 airport lounges around the world where you get complimentary drinks, light food, free WiFi and a comfortable place to relax. Check out the review of Heathrow Airport Lounge of British Airways before buying your Priority Pass.
Some more amazing travel apps might come in the near future, but as of now, these are all the best free travel apps that will surely help you to make your next trip easier, cheaper and comfortable.
There might be some apps that you like but unfortunately, I have missed. Feel free to share your experience with us in the comment box below, so that we can update the list.
Happy Travelling… 🙂
LIKE IT? SAVE IT…