This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you won’t pay any extra penny, but I’ll get a small commission that encourages me to deliver more helpful content for you.
I am a budget traveler and every time when I prepare my plan for my next destination, I give priority on topics like how to book Cheapest Flight , how to book Cheapest Hotel or how to eat cheap while traveling etc. But I never thought (better say I had no idea about Travel Insurance) about what would happen if everything doesn’t go according to my plan, if I need to cancel my trip suddenly or if I meet with an accident during traveling. There are several other possibilities that might happen at any time.
So what’s the Solution? Travel Insurance – of which most of the travelers don’t have any idea or they tend to neglect it to save their budget.
What is Travel Insurance?
It is basically a plan, a traveler can purchase before traveling that protects him/her from certain financial risks and loses while traveling like medical expenses, baggage loss, sudden accident and many more.
Is Travel Insurance Compulsory?
Travel Insurance is not compulsory in most countries but I will recommend buying travel insurance to avoid any financial risk during traveling. However, countries like Austria, Belgium, Cuba, Denmark, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Qatar, Russia, Netherlands, Finland, Sweden, Turkey and Switzerland(the list is fully comprehensive)
Why you need Travel Insurance?
I am giving some real-life examples where we could save our money but failed due to not having any travel insurance.
- Baggage Loss: In 2010, during my Ladakh trip in India I lost the main bag where I kept the maximum amount of money including two credit cards. My other debit card saved me at that time.
- Trip Cancellation: In 2012, I had to cancel my Thailand trip with friends due to the sudden illness of my mother just 9 days ago. Flight booking company and hotel company refunded me less than half of the total amount. I made a huge loss for not having any cancellation insurance.
- Medical Evacuation: One of my traveler friends got a head injury badly during a trek in the USA. He was bankrupt as he had no International Travel Insurance and his health insurance was valid only to his own country. If he had evacuation insurance he might save a good amount of money.
There are many more incidents like these which can arise at any time of your traveling. I and my friend could have avoided that loss if we had any travel insurance. Above all, to travel happily without any worry you should have an international Travel Insurance.
When is Travel insurance Not Necessary?
There are certain cases when purchasing a Travel Insurance is just a waste of money.
- If you travel domestically then your Health Insurance Plan is enough to cover medical expenses.
- When you do a short weekend trip just for 2-3 days. Though anything can happen at any time, but if you have a tight budget you can skip travel insurance. In 2019, I suddenly planned a budget weekend trip to Buxa Dooars(India) for 3 nights where I went without any travel insurance.
- If you don’t have any prepaid and non-refundable expenses of your trip then also you can avoid travel insurance.
Best Travel Insurance:
From my personal experience of 12 years of traveling (Started to use Travel Insurance from 2010), I can tell you that World Nomads is the Best Travel Insurance for International and Domestic trip available at the cheaper price and value for money. If you are looking for the best international travel insurance for Europe, you can blindly choose World Nomads travel insurance for your Europe trip.
Reasons Why You Should Choose World Nomads Travel Insurance:
- The Cheapest Travel Insurance: World Nomads insurance is the cheapest one with the best value for money that is available in the market. If you search for the cheapest option you may have found other companies. But if you take a closer look at the factors covered in the insurance, there’s never been a better option. World Nomads is also the best travel insurance for backpackers.
- Easy to use website with Immediate Quote: World Nomads insurance has a hassle-free purchasing method with immediate quote available where you just need to give your information like your destination, your country of residence, travel start and end date with traveler’s age to get the price of your insurance. World Nomads is also the best travel insurance for seniors, they have some special value for money plan for aged travelers.
- Customizable Insurance Policy: You can customize your policy as per your requirement. You can add sports gear, electronic gadgets and personal items with item values in your quote.
- The flexibility of their Policy: You can buy or add more cover even when you are traveling. During our Nepal visit, I didn’t have any plan about Bungee Jumping, but after going there I took the challenge of this adventure sports. I called the customer support team of World Nomads and informed them about it. They modified my insurance and I was good to go.
- Customer Service: World Nomads insurance has an awesome customer support team available 24/7. You won’t face any problem with their customer support. In 2016 while I was on my budget Switzerland trip I got sick at a remote location. I was feeling lost about where to seek medical treatment. I contacted the customer support team and they recommended a clinic near my place and I had a good experience with the clinic.
- Coverage of World Nomads insurance: They have two popular plans for their customers: Standard Plan and Explorer Plan. There is not a huge difference between these two plans. Hence I will suggest going for Explorer Plan from where you can take the maximum benefits for baggage and personal effects coverage. Here is a list of things World Nomads insurance covers:
- Emergency medical expenses overseas
- Medical transport and repatriation home
- Accompanying person
- Prescribed physiotherapy
- Counseling services
- Out of pocket expenses in the hospital
- Emergency dental treatment
- Local funeral expenses and repatriation
- Pre-trip cancellation
- Trip interruption or curtailment
- Additional expenses
- Trip resumption
- Personal accident
- Student loan and credit repayment
- Travel disruption
- Missed connection
- Natural catastrophe
- Personal liability
- Rental car excess
- Replacement of rental car keys
Claim Settlement of World Nomads:
World Nomads has a good claim settlement ratio. I have claimed a total of two claims and each one was settled, but the process takes a while and this is normal for any kind of insurance. You have to download an online claim settlement form and have to fill it. Additionally, you need to submit documents like hotel and flight booking receipts, doctor receipts, credit card statements. You may have to call several times to complete all the paperwork from your end. Generally, it takes 1-2 months to settle a claim in World Nomads. You can also check this amazing article on ‘Best Travel Insurance in Bali‘ if you are planning for a Bali trip.
Cons of World Nomads:
Frankly speaking, I didn’t find any cons of World Nomads insurance after using it for more than 5 years. Only 2 things I want to mention:
- World Nomads has no official mobile app like other useful Travel apps.
- Their upper age limit is 70 for certain products that they can improve.
Pro Tips while Choosing Travel Insurance:
- Be honest with your travel insurance company. If you plan to go for bungee jumping, then don’t pretend that is just mountain travel with family. If anything happens due to bungee jumping, no insurance company will cover you.
- Research properly before buying any insurance. Compare the price and coverage details before buying any. Check if you already have any travel insurance. If you want to add some extra cover then compare the price between your owned insurance and World Nomads, then choose the best one.
- Read the terms and conditions properly. Don’t buy travel insurance when you are in a hurry.
- Call the travel insurance company directly and don’t be ashamed to ask if you have a single doubt.
- When you claim for any loss or medical treatment you have to submit the related documents to settle it. Always remember to take a photo of your doctor’s receipt, medication bill or any police report for any loss.
- Call the travel insurance company and ask what is covered and especially what is not covered.
Click on the below link to get your Travel Insurance from World Nomads:
As I have already said that I am a budget traveler and always want to save some money wherever it is possible, but I never neglected travel insurance after facing some serious financial risks. After all, health should be always the top priority.
You will find several other travel insurance companies(even cheaper than World Nomads) but after researching a lot I always keep my faith on World Nomads Travel Insurance for the last 5 years and I am fully satisfied with it for its best value in a cheaper price.
If you have any questions you can comment below or if you already used World Nomads Insurance then share your positive or negative feedback in the comments section. I would love to hear from you.
Happy Traveling… 🙂