Are you a die-hard solo traveler? Looking for some of the best places to travel alone in Europe? You have landed on the right page. Traveling is one and the only thing that gives me ultimate peace. It’s not only about exploring a new place but beyond that traveling gives me an opportunity to meet new people, to learn a different culture, to taste local cuisine and many more.
PIN IT FOR LATER…
This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you won’t pay any extra penny, but I’ll get a small commission that encourages me to deliver more helpful content for you.
However, being a frequent traveler it’s not possible for me to travel with my friends all the time. Hence I travel alone sometimes and it gives me total freedom to do whatever I want during my solo trip. Although you might have to face some challenges while traveling alone to an unknown place. All you need to do is good research on the place where you are going to travel alone.
There are a lot of countries that are really very safe for solo travelers. Today I am going to share with you some of the best places to travel alone in Europe.
Copenhagen is the capital and largest city of Denmark. Being a small city, it is an ideal destination for solo travelers who love to explore a walkable place. The Danish people are very friendly to travelers and always welcome foreign travelers wholeheartedly.
Denmark is one of the safest countries in Europe to travel alone. Even at night, a solo traveler won’t feel insecure in this beautiful place in Europe. The mesmerizing city offers a perfect blend of old and new architecture, beautiful canals, enchanting castles, and some world-class restaurants.
Things to Do Alone in Copenhagen:
- Keep open your Google Map and explore the old city of Copenhagen with fantastic museums, galleries and take some photos of stunning Danish architecture.
- Take a boat tour in the city’s canals and enjoy a panoramic view of the city and know more about the city’s rich history.
- You can take a 3-hour bike tour with other fellow travelers to explore the hidden local attractions by a friendly local guide.
- While traveling alone in a small city like Copenhagen, the night can be boring sometimes. Copenhagen Pub Crawl is a great option to chill with other like-minded travelers.
Where to Stay in Copenhagen:
Copenhagen has plenty of hostels for visitors who travel alone.
When choosing some of the best places to travel alone in Europe, Oslo just has to be on your list. Norway was considered the world’s happiest country in 2017 by the United Nations. This peaceful European country also has a lower crime rate that made this little country one of the best places to travel alone in Europe. Oslo, the capital city of Norway is not only popular among solo travelers, but it is also a place where you would like to visit with your friends and families.
From magnificent Fjords, spectacular mountains, stunning Scandinavian architecture to vibrant cultural heritage, Norway has a lot to offer its visitors. Most of the Norwegian people speak English and the country has an excellent public transportation system with extremely friendly locals.
Things to Do Alone in Oslo:
- Norway is famous for its unreal beauty of Fjords that is a must-visit in Norway solo travel. You can discover charming landscapes, panoramic city views in a 2-hour sightseeing cruise in Oslo Fjord.
- Solo travelers can visit Kirkeristen, a wonderful market of handicrafts and antiquities.
- Explore the various museums in Oslo like the National Museum of Art, Viking Ship Museum Norwegian Folk Museum, Munch Museum etc.
Where to Stay in Oslo:
Oslo is one of the most expensive cities in Europe. Finding cheap accommodation is quite difficult. Solo travelers can stay in a hostel or apartment that is comparatively cheaper than hotels.
No crime, only cows. Yes, Switzerland is another safest country in Europe. If you are planning to start your solo travel in Europe, without any hesitation book a cheap flight to Zurich. I know Switzerland is one of the most expensive countries in the world. No need to be worried. I have a detail travel guide on Switzerland Solo Trip on a Budget where I have described how I traveled 8 cities in 8 days with just $1000.
There are so many beautiful places in Switzerland that you would love to travel alone. I will highly recommend traveling to Interlaken if you don’t have much time. This fairy tale mountain village is arguably one of the best places to visit in Europe for its natural scenic view of stunning snow-capped Swiss Alps, spectacular landscapes and countless waterfalls.
The transportation system is well organized throughout Switzerland. You can buy a Swiss Travel Pass for worry-free travel. You can ride on bus, boat and train with this pass. Even the Swiss travel pass covers the entry fee of most of the museums in Switzerland. While traveling solo in this beautiful country of Europe, Swiss travel pass will be your all-time companion.
Things to Do Alone in Interlaken:
- Interlaken is a walkable town. Exploring the city on foot is one of the best among the free things to do in Interlaken.
- If you are an adventure enthusiast, go for paragliding, skydiving, river rafting and many more adventure activities.
- Hiking is another free thing to do in Interlaken. Enjoy the beautiful scenic view of Interlaken to Harder Kulm hike.
- Visit the beautiful alpine village Lauterbrunnen. Some of the best waterfalls in Switzerland can be found here.
- Book a ticket for a day trip to Jungfraujoch, one of the most popular places in Switzerland. The train journey to the top of Europe is itself very scenic. Enjoy a panoramic view of snowy Alps from the top of Jungfraujoch.
Where to Stay in Interlaken:
Being an expensive city in Switzerland, it’s hard to find cheap accommodation in Interlaken. If you travel solo in Interlaken try to book a hostel in advance. Check out some of the best hostels in Interlaken for solo travelers and backpackers.
Related Articles on Switzerland Travel:
- Swiss Travel Pass or Rental Car? Save Money While Traveling Switzerland
- How to Spend 2 Days in Lucerne on a Budget
- Must-See Places in Interlaken with $165
- 10 Offbeat Places in Switzerland for Solitude Seekers
- 10 Best Ski Resorts in Switzerland to Add to Your Bucket List in 2020
- Tips to Get the Best of Switzerland in 2 days with Low Budget
Stockholm, the capital of Sweden is another safest place to travel alone in Europe. Stockholm is an excellent choice for many backpackers traveling alone. The Swedish are very relaxed and always ready to extend their hands towards strangers.
Solo travelers can explore the city freely without any worry. Stockholm is an amazing stop if you want to spend some quality time with yourself. The city is enriched with wonderful experiences – the parks, the gardens, the harbor, the historic colored houses dating back hundreds of years.
Things to Do Alone in Stockholm:
- Explore Gamla Stan(old city) and take some picture-postcard photos with the saffron-colored buildings, cobblestone streets under the clear blue sky.
- It is better to rent a bike and explore the city while traveling alone in Stockholm. The city has bicycle lanes and paths throughout.
- Visit the famous ABBA museum, Nobel museum, Skansen Open Air Museum etc.
Check out some of the Best Deals in Stockholm:
Where to Stay in Stockholm:
Accommodation in Sweden is pretty expensive. Check out the rates of some of the best budget hostels.
Are you a party freak? Then you cannot skip Amsterdam while sorting out the best places to solo travel in Europe. It doesn’t mean that Amsterdam cannot be enjoyed if you are not a party lover. Beyond this, Amsterdam is a beautiful small city that you can explore on foot.
Amsterdam is also known as the Venice of the North for its countless canals and decorated little bridges. The city is popular as a romantic place in Europe. No need to be worried about the transportation system and safety while doing solo travel in Amsterdam as the city is extremely safe for female solo travelers too. The city is well connected with nearby places by bus, tram, metro, and train. Buy a public transport ticket that is valid in all mediums and explore the city.
Things to Do Alone in Amsterdam:
- Getting lost in Amsterdam’s museums is a good choice for solo travelers. Among all the significant museums I will highly recommend to buy a ticket for Van Gogh’s museum and get a chance to see hundreds of paintings, drawings and letters by the Dutch master.
- The best way to explore Amsterdam is to rent a bike and tour along the beautiful cobbled streets and visit the local sightseeing at your own pace.
- While traveling in Amsterdam don’t miss a scenic canal cruise by night. Discover the city with hundreds of bridges and iconic buildings along the canals.
- Experience the popular nightlife scene of Amsterdam by buying just 1 ticket and enjoy free entry to 16 clubs with a free welcome drink.
- Don’t miss the famous walking tour in the Red Ligh District area of Amsterdam and explore the sinful streets, old church and new markets.
Where to Stay in Amsterdam:
Check out some o the best hostels for solo travelers in Amsterdam where you get a chance to meet other solo travelers:
#6 Prague-Czech Republic
Prague is one of the most visited cities in Europe. This digital nomad city is extremely popular among honeymooners and couples for its natural beauty and ambiance, but it has a lot to offer solo travelers. You will find fairytale architecture throughout the city with lots of museums, monuments old clocks and bridges.
Prague is a safe place in Europe for solo travelers. Whenever you visit, you will be amazed by the beauty of the Czech Republic. Czech is the official language and widely used in the country. However, most of the Czech people can speak and understand English. Prague has an outstanding transportation system and all the popular sightseeing are within a walkable distance. That’s why I think Prague is one of the best places to travel alone in Europe.
Things to Do Alone in Prague:
- Explore this one of the most beautiful cities in Europe by foot. Visit the old town of Prague and get an opportunity to see Gothic architecture. The old town square is a popular tourist place where you find some of the best sites of Prague such as Old Town Hall, Astronomical Clock and Gothic Church.
- Pay a visit to Prague Castle. See the highlights of the castle including the Old Royal Palace, St. Vitus Cathedral, St. George’s Basilica, and the Golden Lane. To know about Prague castle I will recommend booking a small group tour with a local guide. You can save your time by skipping the line on a busy day in Prague.
Where to Stay in Prague:
The Czech Republic is one of the cheapest countries to visit in Europe. Hence finding budget accommodation for a solo traveler is not a big deal. Check out some of the best hostels in Prague for solo travelers.
#7 Vienna- Austria
Are you fond of art, music, culture? Visit the imperial city, Vienna that is also the capital city of Austria. The city is blessed with amazing museums, stunning architecture, historical places and sights. Austrian people are very friendly with strangers. Most of the people in Austria speak German, though English is also used in touristy places. Vienna can be explored by foot and other tourist hotspots are well connected by bus, tram and train. So the language and transport system won’t be a barrier for solo travel in Vienna. With an efficient transportation system and an endless list of sightseeing for any budget, Vienna is one of the best cities in Europe to travel alone.
Things to Do Alone in Vienna:
- Explore the largest city of Austria by walking along the Danube river and various museums and monuments. You can also book a day tour with a local guide who will help you to know more about this historic city.
- Enjoy a day trip to Schönbrunn Palace & Gardens. Following the tour, enjoy the short walk around the gardens and have a glimpse of the Gloriette.
- Take a boat tour on the Danube canal. Explore the city and enjoy the panoramic view of Vienna from the boat.
Where to Stay in Vienna:
- Wombats City Hostel Vienna-The Naschmarkt
- Boutique Hostel – Zum Goldenen Kegel
- MEININGER Hotel Wien Downtown Franz
- Wombats City Hostel Vienna-The Lounge
How can you ignore Budapest when it comes to travel as a solo traveler. Budapest is a charming capital city of Hungary located in Central Eastern Europe. I have enough not to skip this city from the list of ‘best places to travel alone in Europe’.
Being a little city, Budapest is pretty much a walkable place in Europe; the city is very easy to navigate and remarkably there are plenty of free things to do in Budapest for solo travelers. From buses and trams to four metro lines and suburban railway, public transport in Budapest is very easy and money-saving.
Budapest is an ideal solo destination in Europe to enjoy the incredible Hungarian cuisine, rich culture, and vibrant nightlife. Although Hungarian is the official language in Budapest, luckily most of the people can understand and speak English. However, Budapest is a very safe place in Europe for female solo travelers. Still, you must ensure your basic safety precaution. Be careful whenever traveling to a touristy area.
Things to Do Alone in Budapest:
- 3 days in Budapest is enough to explore this beautiful city. It is divided by the Danube river – Buda and Pest. Go for a Danube river cruise which offers a fantastic view of the city with World Heritage sites. Enjoy a stunning panoramic view of the city while the sail passes through Watertown, Margaret Island, the Castle Hill, Gellért Hill and the Citadel.
- Visit the Hungarian Parliament – the landmark building of Budapest. This Gothic Revival-style building is the third-largest parliament building in the world. The interior design is very impressive with a spectacular central staircase and great vaulted hall. Book your guided tour to the Hungarian Parliament from here.
- Thermal spring bath and Spa treatments are must-do things in Budapest. Enjoy a relaxing ‘me time’ in the stunning outdoor pools. Book your full-day ticket from here.
Where to Stay in Budapest:
There are plenty of hostels and hotels to stay in Budapest. Pest side of the city is quite a popular place among solo travelers. Buda side is also a good option to stay in Budapest. Here can see numerous hostels and Airbnbs, nicely located, well furnished at a cheap price.
- Maverick City Lodge (Budget hostel in Budapest)
- Wombats Hostel Budapest (Mid-range hostel)
- Pal’s Hostel (Private room)
#9 Munich – Germany
Munich, the capital city of Germany is another great place in Europe for the first time solo travelers. Traveling solo in Germany is very easy and fun. Pretty much everywhere in Germany is very safe for solo travelers. The public transportation system is too good, so there are no worries about being stranded alone somewhere. You can walk most places or take the trams which are very easy to figure out.
There you will find cheap hostels at every corner of the city. From visiting the galleries, joining an alternative street art tour to shopping at the flea markets, Germany has plenty of things to do alone. The locals are generally helpful to tourists, English is widely spoken – Germany just checks all of the boxes for the solo travelers.
Things to Do Alone in Munich:
- The first thing you should do when you are visiting Munich alone is head to Marienplatz, the main city center. You will notice the unique style of Bavarian culture in this amazing historical location. You shouldn’t miss Hofbrauaus, a traditional beer hall where Hitler gave his first speech.
- Visit the Dachau Concentration Camp, one of the first concentration camps in Nazi Germany. It’s located just outside of Munich and can be accessed by Munich transit.
- There are many museums in Munich to visit. Deutsches Museum is the biggest natural science museum in Europe, a perfect museum if you are a Science student. BMW Headquarters and Museum is a must-see for any car enthusiasts
Where to Stay in Munich:
It is recommended to stay near Marienplatz, the heart of the city, to access plenty of great restaurants, beer halls, street shows, and architectural wonders. Ample accommodations are available there to suit any budget.
- Euro Youth Hostel (Budget hostel in Budapest)
- Wombats Hostel Munich (Mid-range hostel)
- Hotel Deutsche Eiche (Private room)
#10 Venice – Italy
Solo travelers tend to avoid Venice as it has a reputation for being a romantic city. However, despite intimate couples’ gondola rides and the city’s propensity for romance, there are so many things to do alone in Venice.
This UNESCO world heritage site is perfect to explore on foot. The locals are amazing and friendly. Expect to talk to shopkeepers and for people to offer directions if you look a little lost. It is a touristic place, so no need to worry about safety. The transportation system in Venice is either on foot or on water. Waterbus tickets are 7 Euro which is valid for 1 hour.
Things to Do Alone in Venice:
- Venice is a small city, you can walk it in several hours. Go for a walking city tour, explore the city canals, coloring houses and learn about the city’s history and culture.
- Visit St. Mark’s Square, the heart of Venice. Spend some time just by watching people and feeding the pigeons.
- Venice is famous for its beautiful churches and basilicas. Don’t miss the San Marco Basilica, a magnificent cathedral in Italy. Some other popular churches are Santa Maria Della Salute, Santa Maria Gloriosa Dei Frari, San Giorgio Maggiore.
Where to Stay in Venice:
Finding cheap accommodation can be painful in the historical part of Venice, it’s still much more convenient than trying to stay on the mainland. For cheaper options, try to stay in hostels near the Santa Lucia Station, in the northern part of the city.
- Generator Venice (Budget hostel in Budapest)
- Ostello S. Fosca – CPU Venice Hostels (Mid-range hostel)
- Combo Venezia (Private room)
LIKE IT? PIN IT…