Are you an avid hiker and looking for cheap hiking boots for your next adventure? Then, fear not – you have come to the right place.
All hikers know the importance of hiking boots or shoes that are waterproof, durable, and lightweight. I understood its importance significantly during my hike to Vivian Creek trail, a tough and steep hike in Southern California over the rocky terrain.
Well, there are a lot of options to choose the best hiking shoes from online or offline stores. You will see many articles on reviews of the best waterproof hiking boots. Undoubtedly, those are outstanding products, but most of them are expensive.
But if you are a budget traveler, backpacker, or die-hard hiker who has a limited budget for hiking gear, then this article on the best affordable hiking boots is for you.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you won’t pay any extra penny, but I’ll get a small commission that encourages me to deliver more helpful content for you.
Here is my research on finding the best budget hiking boots. This post also includes hiking boot categories and the best hiking shoe buying guide which helps you to choose the right product as per your need and budget.
I have compiled my 10 best and cheap hiking boots that will help you to hike fast and comfortably on any kind of terrain.
However, if you are in a hurry and don’t have enough time to read the full article then check out my best pick below.
For an extremely comfortable, lightweight, and durable option at an affordable price, I will recommend you to choose Columbia Newton Ridge Plus Li hiking boot.
This versatile leather hiking boot contains a high-quality advanced traction rubber sole and delivers long-lasting comfort with superior cushioning, and contrasting color combinations.
Let’s check the difference between hiking boots and hiking shoes, the hiking boot category, and what you should consider while buying an inexpensive hiking boot.
- 1 Hiking Shoes vs. Hiking Boots
- 2 Affordable Hiking Boot Categories
- 3 Cheap Hiking Boot Buying Guide
- 4 Best and Cheap Hiking Boots for Men and Women
- 4.1 #1 Columbia Newton Ridge Plus II Hiking Boot
- 4.2 #2 Timberland White Ledge Mid Waterproof Ankle Boot
- 4.3 #3 Merrell Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
- 4.4 #4 Nortiv 8 Ankle-High Waterproof Hiking Boot
- 4.5 #5 Timberland Men’s Flume Waterproof Boot
- 4.6 #6 Skechers Relment Pelmo Chukka Waterproof Boot
- 4.7 #7 Hi-Tek Logan Waterproof Hiking Boots
- 4.8 #8 Keen Targhee Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
- 4.9 #9 Columbia Men’s Redmond V2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Shoe
- 4.10 #10 Mountain Warehouse Adventurer Women’s Waterproof Boot
- 4.11 #11 Timberland Chocorua Trail Waterproof Boot
- 4.12 #12 Ariat Terrain Waterproof Hiking Boot
- 4.13 #13 Merrell Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe
- 4.14 #14 New Balance Men’s 481 V3 Hiking Shoe
- 4.15 #15 Skechers Men’s Relment-Traven Hiking Boot
Hiking Shoes vs. Hiking Boots
Some people get confused while searching for hiking footwear. There is some difference between hiking shoes and hiking boots. Hiking shoes generally tend to be lightweight, soft, and flexible. You can pick a hiking shoe if you are planning for a day hike in dry weather and gentle terrain. It is a good choice for recreational hikers and backpackers.
Hiking boots offer great ankle support and reinforced protection. There are varieties of models available in the market for different types of hikers. Although it is heavier than a hiking shoe, people choose hiking boots for their protection level on rough terrain, good traction, and durability.
If you are planning for a long-distance overnight hike or hiking with a heavy backpack in a rainy or snowy condition, a good quality hiking boot should be your first choice.
Affordable Hiking Boot Categories
Lightweight Hiking Boot
Lightweight boots are light(don’t compare them with extreme light hiking shoes), flexible but enough tough for a longer day hike. I used Keen Targhee II in most of the hikes in Switzerland. It is an excellent budget-friendly lightweight hiking boot that uses a waterproof liner and good amount of mesh and nylon. As long as you are carrying a heavy backpack, this lightweight hiking boot is the best option to go with.
Midweight Hiking Boot
Midweight boots are ideal if you are looking for a balanced option that doesn’t compromise with the sturdiness of the boot. It is pricier compared to lightweight hiking boots due to its quality material and construction techniques. Timberland White Ledge Mid Waterproof Ankle Boot is a cheap midweight hiking boot that’s not too heavy but offers solid ankle support.
Heavyweight Hiking Boot
These are built to tackle the tough and rocky terrain with a heavy backpack on a longer overnight hike. Heavyweight boots are stiff and incredibly reliable and popular for their excellent performance in any weather condition. Although this type of hiking boots tends to be expensive, the comfortability and durability pay off the high price. We recommend Ariat Terrain Waterproof hiking boots in this category. It is fully waterproof, robust, comfortable, and reasonably priced.
Cheap Hiking Boot Buying Guide
These are some key areas that you should consider while purchasing the best budget hiking boot, otherwise, you may spend your hard-earned money on the worst product. Here, we have considered the below metrics to sort the best cheap hiking boots. Comfort, traction, stability, water resistance, protection, weight, breathability, and durability are the metrics.
Comfort: It is the most important factor while choosing the best inexpensive hiking boots for men or women. Hikers always prefer to choose boots that deliver comfort to the upper and underfoot. Fit is another important key. You wouldn’t want to wear an ill-fitted hiking boot during a long hike.
Traction: You may have to face any type of obstacles like loose rocks, slippery boulders, or muddy paths. A good hiking boot with solid traction can be the savior in such cases. It gives hikers more confidence to hike any tough trails.
Water Resistance: A good cheap hiking boot will keep your feet dry and it is very important to keep your feet warm when hiking in the winter or rainy season. Waterproof hiking shoes can withstand a moderate amount of water and you can easily cross creeks and snow-filled areas.
Protection: We have also looked upon the reviews if these hiking boots provide solid protection for your toe, ankle, and underfoot. Most hiking boots offer more protection from various obstacles than cheap hiking shoes.
Weight: Weight is an important and relative factor. Unarguably, every hiker would love to buy a lightweight hiking boot. It is more comfortable, and flexible, and perfect for a day hike or recreational hike. But if you are going for an overnight hike with a heavy backpack on tough terrain, you can understand the importance of a sturdy(mid-heavy weight) hiking boot.
Breathability: A summer hike can be pretty uncomfortable if your hiking boot doesn’t have good ventilation. If your boot doesn’t breathe well, it may cause sweaty and swollen feet.
Durability: We kept a close look at the budget as well as long-lasting characteristics while creating the list of cheap hiking boots for men and women. You shouldn’t expect your boot will last forever. Most of these hiking boots are significantly durable despite being cheap and affordable. Although lasting of a boot depends on various aspects like type of hiking, weather condition, and the hike’s gait.
Best and Cheap Hiking Boots for Men and Women
I have compiled this list for you to understand all of the features, advantages, disadvantages of every cheap hiking boot. After reading this you will definitely get informed about it.
Weight: 2 lbs(Midweight)
Waterproof: Yes (Omni-Tech)
- The lightweight midsole offers super comfort
- A waterproof hiking boot for slick streets and rugged terrain
- A durable product with leather coated ideal for rugged environments
- Advanced Omni-Grip non-marking rubber sole gives solid traction
- Mesh and Suede upper panels provide breathable ventilation
This is one of the most trustable brands in the shoe industry. They always use high-quality products in all of their footwear which results in durable and comfortable boots while remaining lightweight and versatile.
It is one of the best affordable hiking boots with a lightweight midsole that delivers long-lasting superior cushioning for impact absorption and high energy return which enhances its performance. The advanced traction outsole provides a high grip in every terrain to prevent slipping.
Columbia Newton Ridge boot is waterproof and the breathable shell material will keep your feet cool in hot summer. The modern design, meshy upper and PU coated leather keep your feet comfortable, dry, and very happy throughout the hike. You will get all of these features at a very affordable price.
Weight: 1 lb(Lightweight)
Waterproof: Waterproof leather/gusseted tongue
- Premium waterproof 100 % leather uppers have full seam sealing construction.
- Rustproof, speed lace hardware with hooks for secure lacing
- Solid rubber outsoles with multidirectional lugs for traction on varied terrain
- Compression-molded EVA footbeds and midsoles provide excellent cushioning.
Timberland is a popular brand that has you covered whether you are looking for hiking boots for men, women, or kids. They have a wide range of collections for all types of hikers. And the best part is you can get some amazing features that premium hiking boots offer but at a low price.
This hiking boot from Timberland got 4.5 stars on Amazon for its excellent built quality, comfortability, and durability. The uppers are made with 100% premium waterproof leather so that your feet will never get wet.
It has stiff construction and thick midsole and outsoles that isolate your feet from rocks. You can wear this cheap hiking boot throughout the year. The boot is compatible with snowshoeing and even for light mountaineering.
What else can you expect under $100? You’re sure to have an outdoor positive experience when you wear this waterproof boot on your feet.
Weight: 2.82 lb(Midweight)
Waterproof: M Select Dry
- Adaptive hiking boot for wet or dry terrain
- Full-grain leather and suede tongues and collars
- Equipped with a waterproof and ventilated M Select Dry upper
- Merrell Kinetic Fit Base contoured EVA footbed provides flexible heel support.
- Merrell Air cushion in the heel absorbs shock and offers stability
- Compression-molded EVA midsole maintains stability and long hike comfort
- Vibram TC5+ sole ensures unencumbered traction in varied conditions
Whether you are looking for cheap hiking men’s hiking boot or cheap women’s hiking boot for your next weekend hike, I bet you would love Merrell Moab 2 hiking boot.
This boot came to a great help while I was passing a water-crossing in Glen Alpine trail, a popular hike in the Lake Tahoe area. I was surprised to see my completely dry feet after passing the water crossing. At a very cheap price, they offer waterproof membrane, cushioning underfoot, and trusty Vibram outsoles.
It is their updated version which was launched a few years ago. The second version got more popularity for its improved underfoot cushioning, better-designed insole with a higher arch, and more waterproof suede upper with breathable M Select Dry membrane – that made it one of the best budget hiking boots.
Moreover, the EVA midsole acts as an excellent shock absorber and the Vibram TC5+ outsole offers enough traction to hike any terrain.
However, we would not recommend this boot if you are going for a long overnight hike. When you hike on steep rocky terrain for a long time, you will feel that the traction is lacking. Else, for day hiking or backpacking, the boot is perfect.
Weight: 2.55 lb(Midweight)
- Flexible and comfortable with removable insole and shock absorbing MD midsole.
- Waterproof construction that keeps your feet dry
- Durable and slip-resistant
- Lightweight yet great stability
- Fantastic grip with a rugged rubber outsole
- Synthetic toe protection for anti-collision
Nortiv 8 Ankle-High boot is probably the cheapest one on this list. Although it is not as popular as Salomon Quest or Timberland, they are growing in popularity very fast. And the reason behind this craze is to sell good quality hiking boots at an insanely cheap price. Most of amazon’s customers are very much satisfied with their product and gave them 4.5 stars.
Surprisingly, this boot feels much lighter than its looks let on. Even at this price range, this is the only hiking boot that provides high ankle coverage to protect accidentally rolled ankles.
The removable insole gives more flexibility and offers arch support. The midsole absorbs the maximum shock and reduces foot fatigue.
Weight: 1.5 lb(Lightweight)
Waterproof: Full-grain waterproof
- Padded collar with a fully gusseted tongue keeps debris from entering the boot
- Waterproof leather upper construction keeps feet dry
- Lace up front for a secure fit with rustproof speed lace hardware for added durability
- Shock-absorbing EVA midsole adds lightweight comfort
- EVA memory foam footbed for added comfort
- Solid, rubber outsole with multi-directional lugs on varied terrain
In the fit department, Timberland Men’s Flume boot is a sparkling success. The boot is applauded by most Amazon buyers for its remarkably precise fit, both in length and width. Moreover, the boot also astounds in the design, weight, and comfort categories.
The durable rubber outsole will let you challenge the natural wilderness. Its lightness amazed numerous users despite its rather beefy construction. Several users are astonished by this hiking boot’s excellence in providing warmth in cold temperatures.
However, some customers are not satisfied with its traction quality as it slipped on a wet surface. In conclusion, the Timberland Flume Waterproof boot is a perfect choice for countless outdoor adventures except on the terrain that gets slippery.
Weight: 1.38 lb(Lightweight)
- 100% Leather and seam-sealed waterproof construction
- Ankle height design for added comfort and stability
- Optimized ground grip provides ultimate traction
- Shock absorbing midsole
- Memory foam insole enhance the shock-absorbing capability
- Mesh fabric collar and lace area detail for cooling effect
Designed for outdoor hiking, the Relment Pelmo hiking boot is ideal for individuals seeking comfort and style at an affordable price. Thanks to its seam-sealed waterproof upper construction for which it can keep the in-shoe area dry.
This waterproof Skechers product has an ankle height design, padded tongue, and collar to maximize comfort and stability. The midsole and Memory Foam insole grants more underfoot comfort. On the other hand, its lugged rubber outsole renders multidirectional traction on almost all types of terrain.
Some owners are not pleased with the boot’s low-quality lacing hardware and the stiff shaft at the ankle. In conclusion, you can buy this lightweight hiking boot if you are looking for comfortability and amazing waterproofing features at a reasonable price.
Weight: 2 lb(Midweight)
- Nice balance of stability and weight.
- Waterproof suede and top quality mesh upper
- Lightweight fork shank for flexibility and cushioned EVA midsole for reliable support
- Fabric lining and cushioned footbed for added comfort
- Ghillie-style lacing with rustproof hardware
- Multi-directional traction MDT rubber outsole
Are you looking for a cheap hiking shoe that is compatible with daily use? Hi-Tek Logan Hiking Boot is such a good product appreciated by most outdoor lovers. The boot is surprisingly lightweight and lined with a waterproof breathable membrane to regulate the in-shoe temperature.
The gusseted tongue helps to keep debris out from the boot. It is not the only feature that makes it a good budget hiking boot. The compression-molded EVA midsole for cushioned comfort with a nylon fork shank renders underfoot comfort.
Hi-Tek Logan also offers easy to use lacing system and a Multi-Directional Traction(MDT) outsole with deep lugs that can bite any kind of terrain and help to prevent slips and falls.
Weight: 2 lb(Lightweight)
Waterproof: KEEN.DRY waterproof breathable membrane
- Waterproof nubuck leather and flexible comfy mesh uppers
- Removable dual-density EVA footbed boosts cushioning for solid support
- KEEN.DRY waterproof breathable membranes keep feet dry and healthy.
- Mid-height cuff offers support to help protect ankles from injury
- Gusseted tongue keeps out debris
- KEEN.PROTECT Rubber Toe Guards protect feet from impacts and abrasion
The Targhee II is a lightweight value-for-money hiking boot that has a great reputation among the hiking community. It gives you full confidence in all kinds of terrain with its proprietary outsole. The cushioned dual-density insole of this boot wraps your foot in soft comfort.
They have an innovative and useful lacing system. The middle webbing eyelets are designed in such a manner that provides full security to your heel by cinching it down in the heel cup. Although this is a waterproof leather boot, KEEN.DRY waterproof breathable membrane allows your feet to breathe.
Targhee’s non-marking rubber sole stuck well to wet and dry terrain. Even on muddy slopes, it performs very well. The premium quality nubuck leather made it a proper durable hiking boot. If you have wide feet and searching for a versatile boot, Keen Targhee is highly recommended for you.
Weight: 1.01 lb(Lightweight)
Waterproof: Omni-Tech™ waterproof breathable seam-sealed membrane
- Combination suede leather, mesh, and webbing
- Advanced traction with Omni Grip
- Superior cushioning with Techlite for better comfort
- Wrapped sidewalls and rubber overlays help adapt to uneven terrain
- Improved lateral stability
- Efficient in and around water
Supreme cushioning, high energy return lightweight Techlite midsole, Omni Grip advanced traction outsole with upper mesh combine to let you make the most of every step.
If you don’t like the bulky hiking boots, rather prefer feathery-feel lightweight shoes for day hiking, we will highly recommend going for this cheap hiking shoe.
It provides ample traction with aggressive 4mm lugs for digging deep into the mud and loose soil. However, this hiking shoe is not ideal for overnight hikes or on steep rocky hiking trails because of its inadequate arch support.
Weight: 3.04 lb(Heavyweight)
- Waterproof membrane and synthetic upper
- Durable and breathable, keep your feet dry and fresh
- Cushioned footbed for extra comfort
- Hill and toe bumper to protect your feet
- Added deep lugs for grip and stability
Designed with a flexible synthetic upper, Adventurer Women’s Waterproof Boot is a reliable cheap women’s hiking boot. They are durable and breathable and keep your feet dry and warm all day long. Although they look rugged and chunky, actually they are very lightweight.
The boot features a cushioned footbed and supporting outsole with a fantastic grip that prevents falling and slipping on a wet or muddy surface. Don’t consider this boot if you are planning for a long overnight hike. It is the cheapest hiking boot on this list and is ideal for day hiking, casual walking, and general outdoor activities.
Weight: 1.3 lb(Lightweight)
Waterproof: TimberDry waterproof breathable membrane
- Premium full-grain leather from an LWG Silver-rated tannery maximizes durability.
- Waterproof, breathable TimberDry eco-conscious membrane keeps your feet dry and fresh
- Rustproof speed lace hardware
- Fully gusseted tongue to keep out debris
- Anti-fatigue removable footbeds provide standing comfort and energy return
- EVA midsole delivers all-day cushioning and shock absorption
- Solid rubber outsole with multi-directional lugs for rugged traction
As you know Timberland is a very trustworthy brand and I have explained earlier about it. They have a variety of products that are listed on Amazon. If you’re looking for something more premium with more features than Timberland White Ledge or Flume then I recommend you to this hiking boot which is also budget-friendly.
It comes with anti-fatigue technology in removable footbeds that acts as a very good shock absorber and provide extra comfort and energy return. Moreover, the TimberDry membrane provides waterproof breathable protection and it also helps to keep your feet dry while allowing moisture vapor from sweat to pass through.
Secondly, these boots fit perfectly and are as lightweight and comfortable as tennis shoes. Chocorua Trail boots literally are an all-purpose shoe that is comfortable and good-looking enough to wear both indoors and outdoors. In outdoor activities, you can expect great ankle support and excellent traction.
Weight: 3.1 lb(Heavyweight)
Waterproof: Waterproof Pro construction
- Unique ATS technology for superior flexibility and stability
- Waterproof oiled full-grain leather upper construction
- Good arch support to reduce foot fatigue
- EVA midsole for lightweight and superior cushioning for all-day comfort
- Duratread outsole provides maximum traction and wears resistance
Ariat’s Waterproof Terrain is one of the best hiking boots on a budget. You should go for it if budget and quality are your topmost priority. With waterproof leathers and seam-sealed construction, this hiking boot is a perfect choice for hikers, trekkers, adventurers, and anyone who is looking for a comfortable boot at an affordable price.
Their highly effective ATS technology provides great stability and flexibility while the Waterproof Pro construction keeps your feet dry in wet conditions.
In addition, the moisture-wicking lining takes care of your optimum foot hygiene while the lightweight EVA midsole offers superior shock-absorption and cushioning. They use Duratread rubber outsoles that render grip and flexibility.
Weight: 1.1 lb(Lightweight)
- Leather and mesh uppers with protective rubber toe caps and breathable mesh lining
- Closed-cell foam tongues keep debris out
- Air-cushioned heel area absorb shock and add stability
- Company’s own M Select Fit.Eco and EVA midsoles provide stability and comfort
- Vibram TC5+ outsoles lend reliable on rugged terrain
- Molded nylon arch shanks add stability
Merrell is a popular shoe brand in the market. Every hiker knows this brand and people also purchase their products such as Merrell Moab 2 Vent. It is a cheap hiking shoe that is suitable for a short or moderate hike. I like its design and its excellent longevity.
I will highly recommend this product if you hike in warm weather. It has a waterproof membrane-free upper that is quite breathable through its mesh. So, even in extremely hot weather, your feet won’t be sweaty.
The heel support is amazing for the air-cushioned footbed and traction is solid enough to grip any rocky surface with its Vibram TC5+ outsoles. But the downside of this hiking shoe is water resistance capability. Water flows quickly when the shoe is submerged as it does not have a waterproof membrane.
Weight: 0.65 lb(Lightweight)
- Mesh upper provides breathability and synthetic overlay for durability
- EVA midsole offers lightweight cushioning
- The lugged outsole provides multi-surface traction
- Mesh lining wicks away moisture
Designed for style, comfort, and durability, these budget hiking shoes are very lightweight and perfect for daily runs or short hikes on any kind of terrain. You can better consider it as a combination of running shoes and hiking shoes.
It is a cheap hiking shoe that looks good in leather and mesh upper construction but it doesn’t fit well. The ultra-soft cushioning and CUSH+ foam compound provide balanced stability and ultimate comfort. The lugged outsoles offer superior grip and multi-surface traction
Weight: 1.09 lb(Lightweight)
- Seam-sealed design with waterproof durable leather upper
- Ankle height design for added comfort and heel support
- Padded collar and tongue for cooling effect
- Shock absorbing midsole and memory foam for comfortable insole feel
- Flexible rubber high traction lug patterned outsole
Another masterpiece from the house of Skechers. Relment Traven hiking boot is a lightweight hiking boot that is loved by the hikers for its stability, all-day comfort, and premium quality material at a cheap price.
The smooth waterproof leather upper incorporates a soft fabric lining that balances longevity and comfort. The cushioned midsole and the grippy outsole enhance performance on and off the trails. The textured synthetic overlays provide structural support and protect the heel and forefoot.
I personally feel investing in a good hiking boot is definitely worth it if you are an avid hiker. Although there are ample cheaper options available in the online and offline market, but if your budget is limited, I will suggest choosing a good and cheap hiking boot from the above list as per your need.