Switzerland, the Dream Destination for all travelers which everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime. From snow-capped mountain to lush green valley, crystal clear river and lakes, little charming Swiss village, highly maintained old medieval cities, Switzerland is enriched with everything that makes it divine destination. But do you know that you can easily save Money in Switzerland Trip with just a wise decision? Today I am going to tell you how to do it.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you won’t pay any extra penny, but I’ll get a small commission that encourages me to deliver more helpful content for you.
Being it one of the bucket lists, many travelers cannot fulfill their wish to experience Switzerland because of its expensiveness. Yes, Zurich, Geneva like cities are one of the costliest cities in the world, but that doesn’t mean it cannot be explored by a budget traveler. If you do proper research and planning for your Switzerland trip you can make it real with just 1000 USD without breaking your bank. Sounds crazy! Yes, you heard right, you need just 1000 USD to explore 8 cities in Switzerland.
Three main things you have to keep in mind while planning for a budget trip in Switzerland:
Here in this blog, I will mainly focus on Transport, from where you can save a good amount of money.
Switzerland is a small country and each city of the country is well connected with each other by both rail and road, so you won’t face any trouble while traveling in Switzerland, but the issue for a budget traveler is the cost of Swiss Travel Pass.
What is Swiss Travel Pass?
Swiss Travel Pass will give you the privilege of unlimited travel to local transport throughout train, bus, tram and boat services in entire Switzerland. Total 4 types of passes are available in the 1st and 2nd class to explore Best of Switzerland.
- Swiss travel pass(regular)
- Swiss travel pass Youth(for age under 26)
- Swiss travel pass Flex(perfect for quick deciders, one can choose particular travel day to use this pass within one month and it is a little expensive than the regular pass)
- Swiss travel pass Flex Youth(to choose flexible travel dates for age under 26)
Free travel for children up to the age of 16 when travelling with parents.
Swiss Travel Pass Advantages:
- Free travel on mainline trains throughout Switzerland.
- Amazing scenic view on rail routes which is one of the main attractions in Switzerland.
- Free boat ride in Lake Thun, Lake Brienz, Lake Lucerne, Lake Geneva, Lake Lugano, Lake Zurich.
- Free popular mountain excursion like Mount Rigi, Schilthorn-Piz Gloria and the Cabrio cable car to the Stanserhorn.
- Up to 50% discount on many mountain excursions.
- Free admission around 500 museums in Switzerland.
Swiss Travel Pass Disadvantages:
- The main disadvantage is its price which costs around 418 CHF for 8 consecutive days in 2nd class.
- The pass is available for 3,4,8 or 15 consecutive days. So in case if you want to travel for 5 days then also you have to buy a pass for 8 days.
Who won’t like to drive and explore in a foreign country and that too at a low cost? Everybody does. All you need is a driving license of your own country(yes, Switzerland doesn’t require an international driving permit), your passport and a credit card to rent a car in Switzerland. That’s it. Worried about the new country? Just download Top Free Travel Apps before your journey. You can efficiently manage your own trip. There are many car supplier companies like Alamo, Avis in Switzerland and the best price deal you can get from rentalcars.com.
Reasons to choose rentalcars.com:
- It is one of the largest rental networks with more than 8 million bookings per year, working with over 900 companies in 160 countries.
- It is a part of booking.com , one of the largest travel e-commerce companies in the world.
- It lets you compare vehicle prices and terms to help you to choose the best rental deals for your needs.
- It provides free cancellation, theft protection, collision damage waiver and unlimited kilometers in the rental price on most of their deals.
As per your need, you can choose the best budget-friendly car from their site.
For 8 days’ rent of a baby SUV, you have to pay just 210 USD and what you get in addition?
- Collision damage waiver
- Third-party liability(TPL)
- Local taxes
- Theft protection(TP)
- Premium location surcharge
- Road fee/Road licensing fee
- Unlimited free kilometers
Isn’t it an amazing deal for an expensive country like Switzerland!
Tips: If your pick up and drop location is different make sure that there is no ‘one-way drop fee’ while booking a car from www.rentalcars.com
You May Also Like: How to Spend 2 Days in Lucerne on a Budget
Advantages of renting a car:
- The best advantage of renting a car is the low cost(215 USD for 8 days rent+ 95 USD for Diesel, total approx. 305 USD) compared to Swiss travel pass(418 USD for 8 days travel pass) and if you travel in a group then renting a car will be more cheaper as you can share the price of car rent and diesel, but in the case of Swiss travel pass everybody has to buy individual pass.
- Beauty is all around you in Switzerland and renting a car will give you the flexibility to stop anywhere when you see a good scenario on your way and click pictures at any time. Especially driving in Interlaken would be your lifetime experience.
- You can explore more places, whatever you want, within a short period of time making any main city as your base.
- Renting a car is the best option for solitude seekers who love to explore some offbeat places in Switzerland.
- You can change your plan any time, especially when the weather is bad in the high mountain area, you can change your plan and visit another place instead.
Tips: Before picking up the car from the company take a video of the car from outside as well as inside, so that you can inform the rental company if there is any scratch before taking the car.
Disadvantages of Rental Cars:
- Switzerland is a right-hand traffic country so it might be confusing to drive for the first time for the people who are from left-hand traffic countries, but after driving for the first two hours it will be adjusted automatically in your mind.
- Parking fee is higher(7-15 USD/Night) than any other country in Switzerland(Try to book such hostel or Airbnb where parking is free)
- Rules in Switzerland are very strict and if you disobey any traffic rule you will get a ticket which will be deducted from your security deposit amount by the rental company.
What will happen if you lost the key of the car?
If you lost the key of your rental car, you have to pay for the key replacement and the charges vary($200-$250) but if you have World Nomads travel insurance then it can be reimbursed.
So it is totally up to you whether you want to save your budget and travel freely with a flexible schedule or travel with Swiss travel pass enjoying the most beautiful train routes with no worry about public transport, museum entry and some mountain excursions but with a higher cost.
Is it Helpful? Then save it for later…
Some Useful Tips for Budget Transport of Switzerland Travel:
- Always use a SIM card with internet connection while you are driving in Switzerland because Google Maps will be your best friend while you drive in a new country for the first time.
- You can buy individual tickets for the train or bus instead of buying a Swiss travel pass or renting a car if you plan to visit for less than 3 days.
- You can get Swiss travel pass on a discounted price if you travel after the end of the peak season from the beginning of Winter to 31st March.
- Never try to book any intercity taxi as it is too much costly beyond your expectations.
- You can buy bus tickets from goeuro.com to commute to major cities like Zurich, Lucerne, Geneva. However, a free bus pass or transport card is provided by most of the hotels and hostels.
- A bus journey is always preferred by budget travelers rather than a train journey. Though the train journey might be costly it will take less time than the bus.
- While returning the car back to the company then you have to fill the full tank of your car. Otherwise, you have to pay double for per liter. So refill your car’s tank from the nearby petrol pump of www.rentalcars.com parking before returning the car.
- In most of the cases, Car rental company doesn’t give you full cover for accident or theft. In such a case, you have to pay a certain amount first and the rest will be covered by the rental company and this certain amount is known as excess amount. The rental company will block the security deposit amount on your credit card. So make sure you have a high credit card limit. The deposit amount is released when you return the car. If you wish you can take full cover for your rented car which is quite expensive.